Monday, February 21, 2011

Some wise words about practice…

Rae Ellen Bodie
Rae Ellen Bodie is a great voice teacher that teaches at Pro Actors Lab. I have had the privilege of having her as a coach and every other month, I get inspiring words of wisdom whenever she is promoting her upcoming classes. 

I really liked what she said in her last message
because it also relates to what it is I want Actors' Playground to be for all actors and she has allowed me to share it with you here. So here it is and I hope it inspires you to take action with your craft.
Hello to you all!
Yes this is an email about the application deadline for the Lab, but I thought I'd offer up a little something before I get to those details...
In the last week or so I have coached several actors on auditions for US pilots that are being shot here...  In each case, I have asked these actors to let me know what their experience was of the audition and what, if any, feedback they got from the casting agents they auditioned for...  All of them, w/out exception, got back to me and described how well their auditions went, how good they felt before and after, and how the casting agents they saw congratulated and thanked them for their excellent work...  As far as I know, at least one of them booked and most of the others got called back...  
So why am I telling you this?  Because those actors inspire me...  all of them have solid voice/acting practices, get coached for big auditions, take care of themselves mentally and physically, and are totally committed to their work - in short, they're not fooling around.  They have the dedication of athletes.  As a result, the work they're doing in "the room" is solid, grounded and inspired, and all of them walk out of their auditions feeling satisfied, excited, hopeful and like professional actors.  
What do they have in common?
They practice.  Even when they don't have a gig, they practice.  Even when it's the dead of winter, they practice.  Even when they haven't had an audition in weeks, they practice.  Even when they don't want to - ESPECIALLY when they don't want to - they practice...
Do you?
Yes - it's absolutely a challenge.  A challenge for you to shake off winter and get back to practice.  Spring, and full-out audition season is just around the corner...  
Now if that all weren't enough, I leave you w/ a quote that a beautiful, hard-working, talented student of mine sent me many, many weeks ago that says it all...
"The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses, behind the lines, in the gym and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights." - Muhammad Ali
 For more info on Rae Ellen and her fabulous classes, go to proactorslab.com.

No comments:

Post a Comment