Friday, April 22, 2011

Discoveries with cold reads…

So, it looks like I'm going to be playing Theseus and Oberon at a co-op production of Midsummer Night's Dream this summer on the roof of the Carrot Common (or Big Carrot). I decided I would use AP as a venue to help me make more discoveries with text along side rehearsal.

Being that I'm dealing with poetic language, I wanted to get as much out of the text as I possibly could, rather than just first impressions or what's expected. So instead of just reading the text out loud at the Gatherings, what I did was process my thoughts aloud while I went through the text and it's quite amazing. I take the imagery of the language and make spontaneous associations and affirm whatever imaginations come to mind, whether weird or logical. I don't worry about being wrong. And if I feel nervous about my processing in front of my peers, I voice that too, so I don't hide behind it. Very freeing and informative. I believe I discovered a duality in the character that was most surprising…

No comments:

Post a Comment