Thursday, April 28, 2011

I can't get enough…

Sometimes, I wish I could be doing this every day of the week. Exploring scenes with other actors is so much more productive than just examining it alone. The latter is intellectual while the former is more emotional and surprising… but only if you let it. That is, playing with what a scene partner offers you rather than what you think they should.

Case in point, I am privileged to be involved in a production of a Midsummer Night's Dream this July and a screenplay reading at this Saturday's Wildsound at the NFB. So, as part of my preparation, I have decided to play with the scenes at this week's Gatherings with actors that I won't be actually be playing with, just so that I can constantly allow myself to be surprised with different energies (of different actors) so that I am constantly conditioning myself to changes in circumstance. I can't emphasize how much more fun it is and how much more I'm growing as an actor than I was before I got involved in anything like this. It's just like a sports match, like in boxing or basketball. You may know what your opponents skills are but if he/she is really good, they won't play the same way twice and you'll always have to be on your toes for whatever may get thrown your way. Now that's exciting!!

Until next week, play hard and be happy!!
Lorne

No comments:

Post a Comment